A story of success - since 1872
In 1872, when Gustav Heyde founded "Gustav Heyde - Mathematisch-mechanisches Institut Optische Präzisions-Werkstätten", his first products were optical components. Soon these were followed by circular dividing engines, the prism grinder, and industrially manufactured photographic lenses. By the start of the 20th century, the continuously-growing company already sold its products worldwide. The portfolio included astronomical instruments, optical systems, and geodesic measuring instruments. In 1912, the Company counted 200 employees.
In 1948, the Company changed its name to VEB Optik Feinmess Dresden. Besides highly sophisticated photographic lenses such as the bonotar, the production of circular dividing engines, longitudinal graduating engines, nivelling instruments, other optical components and measuring equipment continued running.
Starting in 1970 and under the name of VEB Feinmess Dresden, the Company was part of the VEB Carl Zeiss Jena. New products such as gauging equipment for grinding processes, circular tables, catenary measuring devices, precision- and optical components were now part of the manufacturing portfolio. In 1985, the production of high-resolutional laser interferometers began.
Since 1992, Feinmess Dresden has been part of the Steinmeyer Group, the leading manufacturer of high-precision ball screws. By continuously understanding scientific research results and foremost its conversion into industrial products, Feinmess Dresden has established itself an excellent reputation in Germany and internationally, as a manufacturer of high-precision positioning solutions.
Internationally, and in more than 25 countries, Feinmess Dresden has partners in various industries. These include the semiconductor-, laser-, and optical industry, biotechnology, manufacturers for metrology, aircraft industry and research institutes.
In 2004, the company relocated to its current location in Dresden Zschachwitz. This allowed the expansion to a production area of 3,500 m2. The construction and commissioning of a clean room could be realized at the new location. The clean room is certified with the ISO class 7 and offers optimum mounting conditions for applications of vacuum and semiconductor technology.
Since the beginning of 2014, the traditional company Feinmess Dresden operates under the new name Steinmeyer Mechatronik GmbH. This step makes it possible to bundle offers, competences and experiences under the umbrella brand Steinmeyer. The synergies used within the Steinmeyer Group continually open up new possibilities to meet the special requirements of the customers with the optimally suitable product.